Friday, January 17, 2020

Lessons Learned for 2020

Don’t hold a big phone above your face when lying down and falling asleep (ouch!)

Early in 2019, I relearned how to iron shirts on my mini board, but I missed the built-in ironing board we had in East Mill Creek that I bought at Salvation Army and installed in the laundry room wall.

Be careful not to lose balance in the dark when walking/moving around at home alone.

My iPhone works well for email; I learned to ask young people for help when I’m puzzled. 

Don’t hit your leg on steel bed-frame corners.

My separate apartment building is usually quiet, and the main building is the place to go for mingling with neighbors and dogs — very nice people, surprising pets, a baby grand, and plenty of stairs I run up and down.

I learned that my little apartment can maintain a comfortable temperature all year without running the furnace or air conditioner.  Winter sun brings me joy, then relief in summer as the sun goes north and the window opens at night.

Across the street, Farr Better Ice Cream has “scratch-and-dent” freezers with amazing discounts ... if you know where to look.  And people eat ice cream at Farr’s regardless of below-freezing weather.  I often notice it’s a social, old-style gathering place.

I discovered there is always something to learn in a few minutes at the Ogden FamilySearch Center as I pass through to The Junction (including Deseret Book), Even Stevens Sandwiches, or the thrift store on 23rd.

I seldom need a car, but will never let go of Kay’s cute Buick, a reliable little “truck” for helping neighbors and taking occasional, long 10-mile trips.  I also love to ride the bus and FrontRunner train nearby (half-fare for seniors).

Apparently there is no limit to the number of unique views of the Ogden Utah Temple and surrounding landscape that help me feel the Spirit ... and add to my photos for sharing.

My sweetheart Kay is really not far away, and we are not forgotten.

I learned how satisfying it is to be back home, “permanently” settled for 2020 and beyond.