Friday, March 27, 2020

Music on Hold

With news media and door signs telling us our economy is “temporarily on hold”, I wonder ...

Good music has helped me endure tough times that place me on hold.  Now I imagine others must be listening to music while waiting on hold.

As I write this on iPhone, telemarketers are reaching out to me from “United States” and unknown towns, optimistically showing faith in the future of our country.  They wouldn’t dare place me on hold if I answered, because I might hang up if annoyed by the music and helpful messages.  I like many kinds of music, but I have to be in the right mood ... you know.

According to TalkRoute.com, “... the Psychology of Waiting”, music on hold (MOH) helps anxious callers perceive wait time differently if set up properly.  For example, I like the strategic mix of music and messages on my favorite radio stations online: Classical 89 (BYU) and KNPR Classical (Las Vegas) plus Jazz if I choose.  They bring loving memories of my sweetheart Kay and truly help me through this difficult time.

My advice: choose wisely your “music on hold”.
“Be still, and know ...” God is in control.

(A work in progress, like our resilient country, I hope.)