Monday, July 20, 2020

Crossing the Bridge

When facing the unknown, I have concluded sometimes, “We will cross that bridge when we come to it.”  Is that indecisiveness, procrastination, or faith in the future?  Or can it be all three?  (Rhetorical questions you’re not expected to answer.)

I often prefer not to cross a bridge before coming to it.  That may be viewed as failure to plan ahead or “the trait of irresolution; a lack of firmness of character or purpose”  — Vocabulary.com defines indecisiveness.  At the same time, I can have faith that when we come to the bridge, we will certainly be able to cross it ... with God’s help and guidance from the Spirit.  The life of my eternal companion Kay is a good example of facing the unknown and crossing bridges with faith; (at a young age, she married me!)  The pioneers, whom we celebrate this week, are also great examples; ( I wrote a book about one with faithful posterity).

I am grateful for bridges this year, to help us cross “over troubled water”.  Home-centered church is a blessing, especially when public gatherings are not possible.  Worldwide messages and music from inspired leaders teach and bring us joy.  Technology enables a virtual devotional every Sunday morning for our Michigan congregation; I sense the Spirit is there and in my home.

I look forward to reuniting with my sweetheart on the other side, with confidence I will cross that bridge when I come to it ... with love.