Friday, September 13, 2019

Lessons Learned 2

My thought for the day, Friday the 13th:
No matter how you look at it (the industry) or at them (the millions of rental spaces), storage units are a trap.

Admittedly, they often saved our life in the moving process, especially when Kay & I sold our homes in Sleepy Hollow (east Layton) and on the western frontier.  Both times, the buyers needed to move in sooner than expected.  We were able to fast-forward our moves to a Clearfield townhouse for seven months and our daughter’s basement to wait for our Detroit mission, respectively.

Between those moves was a transition to Colonial Court Apartments in downtown Ogden with a six-month lease (and convenient Beehive Self Storage) while we looked for a permanent home.  Loving the simple community life, Kay & I stayed four years before buying our frontier property.  We even took advantage of a large CC storage cage by our apartments (a series of three apts. as our family needs changed).  Busy with jobs and church service, I failed to lighten our storage load.  It stayed out of sight and out of mind — exactly what the Beehive SS owner counted on and rightly profited from. 

I have learned simple self-storage takes more self-control than I can muster ... unless I finish kicking the habit of saving everything of value I might need in the future.  I am back home at CC Apts. by the temple and new FamilySearch Center to simplify my life ... therefore my needs will disappear over time.  So, go figure.  

Now I eliminate things saved for future needs — “needs” which are going away “as we speak”.  I donate (as we’ve done for decades) and let others benefit from accumulating things.  Money saved by avoiding or escaping storage traps can be used to buy better products later ... if needed.

Lesson learned: the peace of mind and freedom from back-breaking work are priceless.

my guitar, made in Argentina

memories, 8 August 2017


(... not so much anymore)

gift from Kay ~1981, still working (a keeper)
freed from storage, 26 November 2018