Thursday, October 24, 2019

Drawing a Blank

Wanting to write something before lunch hour ends, I draw a blank (meaning: “elicit no successful response [from my brain]; fail.”  — Oxford)

This has happened to me before; ( I have drawn many blanks in my lifetime, so it’s no surprise).  This is the first time I’ve written about it, if my sometimes-blank memory serves me.

I imagine my English teacher wife, Mrs. Cannon, drew a few blanks from students when assigning essays and asking questions.  Others were inspired to write creatively and be intentionally engaged because of her fun style of teaching.

Have you ever been caught off guard by someone asking a question that did not compute?  I often hear retail clerks respond, “What?” and give me a blank look like I’m interrupting deep thoughts without properly getting their attention with the introduction, “May I ask you a question?”

I try to be a good listener (as well as a writer) with family, friends, and strangers.  So, please forgive me for occasional failures ... like now when I’m drawing a blank.