Thursday, October 10, 2019

Sounds of the City

Before closing my apartment window for the winter, l leave a little list of sounds that are part of my personal history.  Without my iPhone voice memos (random recordings) embedded, I realize much is left to one’s own experience and imagination.

Our good neighbors I hear and see from my window are the Ogden City Fire Department and Ogden Police Department in the Francom Public Safety Center.  (He or she must have been a great chief.)  The calling of coordinates for rescue is clearly heard from a loud speaker; then the sound of sirens, reminding me of how well the brave workers do their job.  Under their protection across the street is an elementary school with happy sounds of children on the playground.

Farther west is the railroad, my favorite source of city sound.  Freight train horns and all bring back fun memories, even if they wake me at night.  If I wrote my history in a normal way, a whole chapter would be on my love of trains.

Directly south of me is Lindquist Field, generating bright lights, fireworks, and wild cheering for Ogden Raptors Pro Baseball.  I should feel guilty for enjoying the sights and sounds without supporting our winning team in person.

Sad to say, my selective, sensitive hearing is disturbed by cars honking to lock doors in our parking lot.  I commented in a post years ago, wondering why some newer cars cannot be locked without startling people around them.  Not a pleasant way to wake in the middle of the night.  ( I feel sorry for neighbors of church parking lots; their peaceful day of rest must be punctuated by honking horns, but never by mine.)  I also roll my eyes when hearing muscle cars and pickup trucks roaring in the wild West on Wall Avenue (named after a pioneer fort wall).  That and Washington Boulevard (east of me) are the main “drags” where the young at heart are free to show off their manly machines without police interference.

Let’s see (hear) ... more pleasant sounds of the city: nature — weather sounds excite me, and birds soften our environment.  Most importantly, loving people in our Colonial Court community often speak kind words to each other.  Kay & I are grateful.