Friday, January 8, 2021

Moving History

The pioneer trek from Nauvoo Illinois to the Great Salt Lake Valley was an epic move involving my Cannon and Rich ancestors.  The written history is very moving, bringing me to tears.  The move took faith, courage, and endurance to the end.


It would be interesting to read accounts of my young parents’ moves to San Francisco (WWII upstairs apartment), Salt Lake City (duplex by his parents — my first home), 2nd-Avenue remodeled home (huge back yard for my 4th-14th years), two large Northcrest-Drive homes (SLC upper Avenues), and Canyon Road Towers (123 2nd Ave).  Sadly, there are no written records or photos of those moves, as far as I know; they could also move me to tears. 


Skipping some history, I will never forget moving our three sons from H Street SLC to East Mill Creek across town for a big back yard and the best neighbors our age.  That’s when Kay & I learned the hardest part of moving is the last ten percent.  “When will it end!”


Anticipating my next move in three months, as most residents here at Colonial Court Apartments must eventually do for the two-year total renovation, I will photograph, lighten my load, then simply do it myself.  A little nostalgia, but no tears.  Having thought I’d never have to move again, I am back in touch with reality, preparing for another exciting move and new friends.  Do you keep a moving family history?