Saturday, December 17, 2016

Moving at a Slower Pace

She’s probly thinkin’ about me, “That’s him alright – slower every year.”  Actually, my favorite high school English teacher would probably say, “That's he – moving slower and speaking more slowly every year.”

It’s true.  What better time to do?  It’s a whole week before Christmas Eve, and there’s plenty of time to shop, mail packages to loved ones, send cards, deliver goodies, and just relax.  (Hint: cookies are a favorite, as readers may recall.)

While strolling through Walmart last Thursday night, I observed frenetic folks fighting their way through the yearly routine.  “Try to go with the flow,” I challenged myself.  It was hopeless – this old man could not keep up with the crowd. 
Google defines frenetic: “fast and energetic in a rather wild and uncontrolled way.  [e.g.] "a frenetic pace of activity".
“An example of a frenetic person is someone running around trying to do 10 things at once.”  – yourdictionary.com

So yes, I’m moving at a slower pace now that I’m older.  I love the Simon & Garfunkel song, “Slow down, you move too fast / You got to make the morning last.” (“59th Street Bridge Song”)
This morning, Kay and I had a Christmas open house for our friends and neighbors.  After days of frenetic preparation, it felt good to slow down and spend a few hours getting better acquainted.  Of course, young Kay did most of the work, cooking and everything.  Super woman, she is!  And heavenly food, it was.

Be kind to yourself, and enjoy this season at a slower pace.