Monday, December 3, 2018

Holiday Homonyms Too

With my laptop running, having emailed some missionaries on their preparation day, I thought of repeating this post (slightly simplified) from Tuesday, November 30, 2010:

We got over Cyber Monday --what a rush! -- [folks] shopped without going out in the cold or out on a limb (my credit cards were hidden away, fortunately.)  The offerings were incredibly generous; and I’m glad sales soared 19.4% over last year, to boost our economy.

This morning my second thought was of holiday homonyms.  Last week Kay and I happened to land on an educational TV channel conducting an English class all about homonyms.  Imagine the thrill of finding something worth watching, for a change!

homonym [noun]
"two words are homonyms if they are pronounced or spelled the same way but have different meanings"  – www.whitesmoke.com

Before I let you go find some better ones on your own, here are a few examples my MS spellchecker failed to catch, plus one that’s spelled correctly in context:

Christmas is hear! Bee of good cheer!

Their must have been some magic ...

... and a partridge in a pare tree.

Christmas present is here to stay.

May yore daze be merry and bright, ...
... with every Christmas card I right.

Wishing you happy holidays!  Have fun with family and friends!

lights on Temple Square, Salt Lake City, 2 December 2018


Michigander children with Santa at ward party 2017
photo by Sister Kay Cannon, who loves those little ones