Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Do Drivers Hear / ESP?

My New Year's resolution for 2008 was, while driving, to stop commenting about other drivers on the road, like they could hear me or use ESP.  My wife encouraged the change.  Yes, I had the common habit of verbalizing negative thoughts about Utah and Idaho drivers who were obviously not as skillful, attentive, and courteous as I was (60% of the time), especially as a medical courier.  Knowing how careful I've been since Driver's Ed. at East High School (OK, not always), some behavior I see, especially on freeways, is unconscionable.  (I finally got to use that word heard every election time --just try to pronounce it!  And let's hope that most voters make/made the correct choices this day!)

My reactions in a variety of irritating situations:
"Are you out of your mind?"   "You idiot!" [Sorry about the harsh language.]   “Get off my tail!”  "I wish you would please look more carefully before changing lanes!" [jk]   “You can GO now!” [I said that a lot, trying my best to be patient.]

As you may imagine, my life after rage was mellow, even as my keen observations continued, limited to non-verbal, “deserved” criticism (including big-rig drivers, believe it or not).  Seriously --it made a big difference in my life, for which I will always be grateful.  I just wish I could see drivers getting better, kinder and gentler, instead of the opposite.

Travelog:  Our road trip to PA and NY last June (to visit our daughter and family) was delightful, especially with the more relaxed Midwestern drivers.  Maybe somehow they could hear me or use ESP.  And the Kansas Whiskey Creek baby back ribs beat any fast food we ate on the whole trip!

May you enjoy the scenery along the way.