Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sing for Food

Listening to the youth choir CD, "Libera in Concert" (5/30/07 in the Netherlands), I feel moved to write.

Last Sunday, as Halloween was over, we started practicing Christmas music in our local church choir.  I was amazed how fast everyone got into the holiday spirit by singing those traditional songs.  The music helped prepare my heart for teaching that afternoon.  I felt wonder that day, at the love Jesus offers us.

This morning as we got ready for choir practice when we'd rather sleep late, I pondered on what prompted me to get into choir over a year ago.  When I was about 15 years old, my caring father started taking me to church choir practice with him, and it wasn't too bad.  Soon after, on Feb. 3, 1965, I received through a distant relative, a special admonition to share my talents.  Of course, most young people hear that from parents and others.  Maybe a reason I responded as a 15-year-old was to have use of the car when I turned 16.  It turned out to be a preparation for East High choir, which I enjoyed as a junior and senior;  (I loved performing sacred music in church meetings and on other occasions with my new friends.) 

Now I recall a big reason I joined the choir last year was food!  The director held practices in her home near ours, and always served heavenly refreshments afterward.  I confess that the food really got me going!  So take note, choir recruiters and directors:  fast food to go!  Then watch your numbers grow, especially if parents planted seeds at an early age.