Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Giving Thing

OK, I wrote about THANKS, as in Thanksgiving.  Now it's the day before ...
(I can hardly wait -- the antithesis of fast food.)  But wait -- retailers are all saying it's two days before ...;  (millions can hardly wait for … you know what.)  This is all about the GIVING part, the official “start” of Christmas shopping, though we are halfway to the "deadline" already.

This year I like to think of Black Friday -- (Googled) “About 355,000,000 results (0.18 seconds)” -- as a social, fun preparation for giving, in the spirit of Christmas, as retailers give great discounts and shoppers have family & friends in mind.  However, I will not be participating.  I prefer to be “far from the madding crowd” (which my 1 follower will recognize as an allusion to Hardy’s 1874 novel by that name.)  I now consider it a spectator sport to be enjoyed from the comfort of our cozy home, as I watch CNBC news on our old “big-screen” TV.  This Friday really is critical for our national economy, so I cheer them on!

May you relax and enjoy the next two big days, “as you like it” (yes, we recall William’s play).  And be generous to my helper, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, who rightfully reminds us all of this season of giving.