Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Post-Halloween Post

I almost forgot:  a couple of Halloween memories are begging to be shared.

0ur new neighbors, the Jones Family (for real), clearly love Halloween, the second most favorite holiday in this country.  The front of their house was all in the holiday spirit –creative and fun.  My favorite headstone in their front-yard cemetery, next to “GONE FISHIN’”, had the epitaph, "I'LL BE BACK".  It first reminded me of a scary movie character, then more thoughtfully, of "the greatest story ever told".  I wouldn't even try to keep up with that family at Halloween --just enjoy the show.

The big hit with kids at our house was the old wooden black cat with a long dowel for a tail.  Onto the tail, Grandma stacked chocolate-striped cookies with a hole in the middle.  The grandchildren loved pulling them off more than they did eating them (as evidenced by leftovers I saw in the garbage afterward.)  One 4-year-old would have taken them all to eat as the main course if his mother hadn't restrained him.  If you ever see one of those cool cats at the DI, grab it!

Now that #2 is over, I’m thinking about MY favorite holidays, and favorite works of Christmas music.  Speaking of fast food, I may share my feelings about the rush to clean up in the middle of my Thanksgiving dinner.  It’s OK --I understand; and I guard my plate.