Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Homonyms

We got over Cyber Monday --what a rush! --shopped without going out in the cold or out on a limb (credit cards were hidden away, fortunately.)  The offerings were incredibly generous; and I’m glad sales soared 19.4% over last year, to boost our economy.

This morning my second thought was of holiday homonyms.  Last week we happened to land on an educational TV channel conducting an English class all about homonyms.  Imagine the thrill of finding something worth watching, for a change!

(I better make this fast.)  To quote a favorite dictionary I often use:
www.whitesmoke.com (See the Free … Online Dictionary on the right.)
homonym [noun]
1. two words are homonyms if they are pronounced or spelled the same way but have different meanings
[ I believe this definition, unlike others I won’t discredit, is rightly inclusive, if clarified with "and/" like this:  ... pronounced and/or spelled the same ... ]

Before I let you go find some better ones on your own, here are a few examples my MS spellchecker failed to catch, plus one that’s spelled correctly in context:

Christmas is hear! Bee of good cheer!

Their must have been some magic ...

... and a partridge in a pare tree.

Christmas present is here to stay.

May yore daze be merry and bright, ...
... with every Christmas card I right.

Wishing you happy holidays!  Have fun with family and friends!

A few of  the innumerable lights in our park 26 Dec 2009